Saturday, May 30, 2009

Breakfast on the Road...

Location: Linn's Bakery and Cafe, Cambria, CA

So who said breakfast fare had to be boring??? Perhaps many of us have become cynical about the idea of a fantastic breakfast, being surrounded by so many chain restaurants offering $4 dollar deals and serving what seems to be yesterday’s pancakes! ... Or simply being too busy to stop, sit and entertain eating in the morning...really? We don’t even stop for coffee anymore! Why? There’s drive-thru Starbuck’s! LOL :)

Well... stopping and enjoying (and smelling the roses, or in this case, the scones!)seems to be the thing to do in the magical little town of Cambria, California! Taking a brisk morning walk on a beautiful spring morning... my friend and I made our way through town along the main road. I honestly don’t think I have seen so many “Mom and Pop” establishments, let alone cafes!! There were at least a dozen, if not more, that we passed by, but by impulse chose to stop and enter Linn’s Bakery. I honestly was enrolled by the tall, yet charming building...having a "thing" for aesthetics... it seemed natural to go into this place without any point of reference about what kind of eatery this was. I was very quickly taken in by the fantastic and intoxicating fragrance of freshly baked goods and the wonderful surroundings, so we chose a corner table to "sit" and have breakfast.



You immediately get wind of what this warm place is about, it’s all about family; the Linn Family. The friendly server immediately brought a menu to us, only to confirm the history of the place; it is a family owned gourmet empire! What started small has become the original Linn’s, along with a sister cafe "Easy as Pie", in Cambria, as well. If that weren’t enough, a gourmet bakery, gift shop and online store!

Turns out they are famous for their Ollalieberry baked goods! (and jams!) ... I was sold! There is nothing in the world that I love more than an amazing baked good with a tart berry! The ollalieberry is a hybrid berry, if you will. This berry came to be through the fusion of a raspberry and a blackberry... and what a genius marriage that was! Tart and just the right amount of sweet, this berry leaves you much to talk about!



Of course, I couldn’t resist this whole berry theme, so I ordered a freshly baked Ollalieberry scone, which apparently is one of the best-sellers! "Hello, lover!"... was my first thought! :) ... is it necessary to embellish on that thought, really? LOL
The funny part is that they take a perfectly baked plain buttermilk scone and top it with their gourmet pie filling/topping! I am not the biggest fan of plain scones... but aside from the fact that this scone could stand on its own two feet (well, that is if it had feet, of course!)… :) ... but the amazing creation of ollalieberry dessert topping just made it perfection at every bite! I am still quite shocked I didn’t just order 1/2 a dozen scones for breakfast and called it a day! :)

OK... I do recall why I didn’t have just a scone (or 3 or 4) for breakfast, the fare they offered was to fantastic too pass up! So I ordered the Crab Vegetable omelette ... and my friend ordered the Eggs Benedict w/ homemade sausage.



This omelette is a must try... fresh Northern Cali crab fused with seasonings/veggies and a fantastic cream sauce... and it was accompanied by a side of very fresh hash brown potatoes and freshly cut fruit! I, of course, had to have a side of avocado with my order... there is nothing like the freshness of an avocado to lighten up breakfast fare!! A smile at every bite!!



Being a huge fan of Eggs Benedict for the better part of his life, my friend raved about Linn’s version of Benedict (Coming from a true foodie... this would be a very good thing!) They came served up on an English muffin, of course, with the amazing hash browns ... and looked amazing! I can’t say I tasted them, as I had quite a bit to indulge in myself, however, a bite of the sausage was a burst of flavor.... And distinctly obvious it was freshly made.

Great OJ... and Java to wash down a pretty spectacular start to a fantastic California morning! Of course, we ventured to the rear of the restaurant where an old road leads you to the gourmet shop... I just had to take home a jar of the Ollalieberry Preserves... they are THAT good! Of course... you can order the goods online at www.linnsfruitbin.com. The selection available online is mouth watering and would make some pretty fantastic gifts… especially around the holidays!



I highly recommend this wonderful cafĂ©... for all of you passing thru Cambria... I know for sure I will return in the very near future!! I’m already tasting that Ollalieberry scone in my mouth...YUM!

1 comment: