Monday, May 4, 2009

A California treat for all the senses!

Location:
The Black Cat
(An American Bistro and Wine Bar), Cambria, CA

Cambria, California. What does one say about this quaint little town tucked away along the coastline of this beautiful state? Nestled at the crossroads where Highways 1 and 46 meet, and just a 3 ½ hour drive from Los Angeles, this little town is the antidote for the busy city life and everyday concerns. A great place to spend a quiet and lazy weekend and enjoy wine tasting at nearby Paso Robles wineries or the perfect stopover on the way to a Northern California destination.

Along the main street you will come across what is perhaps the cutest restaurant in this adorable town...in what seems to have been an old craftsman style home...this bistro is the perfect place to end a long afternoon drive up the coast... There is a story behind this fantastic eatery, and it is shared on their friendly website which I highly encourage you to visit. Their menu philosophy is simple: "To please their guests with imaginative fare, while using fresh, local and seasonal ingredients."

From cambria


I must say to start, that the staff is amazing, they held our reservation, despite the fact that we were running quite late; did I mention the Friday traffic in Southern California… need I say more?? LOL. Having said that, I was a tad car sick when we arrived and asked for a huge favor; I asked our server if she’d be so kind to bring me some hot water with a couple bite size pieces of fresh ginger, in order for me to settle my stomach. Though this was clearly not on the menu, she very cheerfully obliged and within a few short minutes returned with relief... And sure enough... worked like magic...in a matter of minutes! I so appreciate that kind of amazing service!! (and we had not even ordered yet!) :)

We started with a very much needed beverage, I went with the Kir Royale, as this champagne based beverage mixed with framboise (liqueur) makes me nostalgic for my time in Paris and this drink is not something commonly found on a bar menu anywhere. As expected, simply delicious and a perfect start to a rather fantastic evening. The only difference with this Kir was that it was made with Prosecco, which is Italy’s version of champagne; it still resulted in a refreshing, crisp and light drink. My friend chose a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, this one from Cedar Lane Vineyards. I must say I was rather impressed by this white wine...typically Sauvignon Blancs are pretty dry, but this one had some bright and crisp citrus notes, a very pleasant surprise that begged for a second glass!! I will have to make sure to pick up a bottle of this Sauvignon Blanc when I find it!

From cambria


It was a bit late for dinner, so instead of having a full meal, we decided to go with two appetizers and then shared one entree...what a great idea that turned out to be! (That meant we could try several things!)
To start, we ordered the Gorgonzola stuffed green olives...presented on a cute white plate, these olives are flash fried in order to melt the cheese. Simple but delicious...a no fuss appetizer that wakes up your palette with warm comfort!

From cambria


The second appetizer was the one that almost got away...but I insisted...it sounded too decadent to pass up! Mushroom and Sage Gnocchi; made with Shitake, cremini and oyster mushrooms. It was served with shredded radicchio with a martini cream and asiago cheese. For those of you not familiar with this Italian comfort food; it is a pasta, of sorts, made with potatoes and flour; the result is what seems to be small pillows of potato that are sheer bliss! The texture of the gnocchi was perfect! (I have attempted to make it from scratch, to no avail! It was a bit mushy when I tried...so this is something I need to perfect in the future. If only the result could be like the ones served here! Every bite put a smile on your face...a party in your mouth, if you will!

From cambria


This was followed by a truly flavorful Arugula salad! Not being a stranger to some amazing salads...this one was a creation to be proud of; perfect flavors fused together with Crispy Pancetta, Goat cheese, chopped apple bits and the happy surprise: Roasted Peanuts! (Who knew?) ... I have always enjoyed nuts in my salads...but very typically pecans, walnuts and pine nuts is what you will encounter. The roasted peanuts added a warmth to the salad, along with the pancetta and goat cheese. (My mouth is watering as I recollect the flavors! Yum!) :)


For the entree we went with the Wild California Halibut, quite fitting, since we were embarking on a long weekend road trip of sorts, in this very beautiful state I call home! The dish was simple, but delectable. What made it different was the specific presentation. Served with a Kalamata and bread tapenade in a roasted fennel broth with shaved fennel and orange and accompanied by butter braised fingerling potatoes and haricots verts (the French version of green beans). Do I really need to embellish more on this dish after this description?? A smart dish...very fresh and wonderful flavor with every bite. I highly recommend without a second thought!

From cambria


At this point, my evening couldn’t have been more perfect! I was in a very relaxed and cozy ambiance, had the perfect company with amazing conversation... ironically enough, sharing more inspiration about my new culinary endeavors!! So being in that place of inspiration and feeling great, I thought nothing could top my evening. Boy, was I was wrong!

From cambria


Then came dessert!! Talk about a happy and memorable ending... though there was some pretty wonderful choices that evening, we went with what our very friendly server recommended: Berries atop a fluffy cloud (if you will) of mascarpone cheese and cream with white chocolate folded in... resting in a fresh and flaky puff pastry shell drizzled with a balsamic reduction and basil simple syrup!!! Need I say more?? Just recalling the decadence in my mouth makes me feel like I am recreating the calories in my body all over again!! But this dessert was worth all the calories it came with... there was absolutely no guilt resulting from this indulgence! This was simple, but truly a masterpiece that a genius chef concocted!! (and many of you know how discriminating my palette is especially when it comes to desserts!) :) I can only hope that when I get to visit this charming bistro once again they will be serving this same work of art!! Kudos to the chef!

From cambria


All in all, a truly memorable culinary experience! Very well prepared food... creative and the perfect fusion of flavors and textures! I will return to this town... precisely because it is the home of the Black Cat!!

Next time you are feeling like you need to get away...but you’re not quite sure where to venture to...wonder no more! Go visit chef/owner Deborah Scarborough and her very friendly staff... you will not be disappointed!! For all Los Angelinos, it is worth fighting Friday evening gridlock for... but you have to stay the night... take in the delights of this charming town... stop and smell the roses for a bit!

Visit the Black Cat’s webpage at: www.blackcatbistro.com
(Don’t forget to tell the chef who sent you!)…Cheers and bon appetit!!

3 comments:

  1. wow, sounds amazing. So when are we going?!? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, sounds amazing. The way you describe everything...I feel like I'm experiencing it with you :) Sounds like a fabulous restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how impressed I am by you! Never mind "The Black Cat" which I am sure is as good as you say it is. But if I were to never go anywhere again I could live vicariously through your blog, and so I say with great love and admiration "Job Well Done!"
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete