Saturday, May 16, 2009

2 "Throwdown" Chefs on 5 de Mayo = Muy Delicioso!

Location: La Casita Mexicana, Bell, CA

I believe I have mentioned before that I stop at nothing, to find the best food, in the most unlikely places. Living in Los Angeles, it’s a given that if you want a taste of the extraordinary, you venture West... West LA, that is! I must admit that some of my favorite eateries are on that side of town... but you’ve got to love finding authenticity on a plate, in an unlikely side of town... and wouldn’t you know it?? I have done it again!!

La Casita Mexicana is located in Bell; a small community located about 15 minutes from Downtown LA. Predominantly a Hispanic community, Bell is the home of many small "Mom and Pop" restaurants, many Mexican food, others from a variety of Latin American countries... there is quite a bit to choose from. But seldom do you come across a jewel of an eatery, which boasts, not only truly authentic Mexican cuisine, but Mexican gone gourmet!! Chefs Jaime Martin Del Campo and Ramiro Arvizu, are the geniuses behind this operation.

Jaime and Ramiro have gained quite a bit of notoriety since they appeared on Food Network’s "THROWDOWN with Bobby Flay", where Bobby Flay challenged them to a cook-off with his take on a gourmet Chile Relleno, since this Mexican duo have become famous for their amazing chiles rellenos, my favorite being "Chile en Nogada." They made their "vegetarian" version (which includes nopales (cactus) amongst the key ingredients) for the THROWDOWN... but regardless, their chiles rellenos are so good, that even Mr. Flay didn’t manage to outdo them!!

I visited this quaint cafĂ© on Cinco de Mayo, as it only seemed fitting to eat Mexican on that day, right? (I guess this was just my excuse... most use this day as an excuse to have one tequila too many... this was my excuse to indulge... and so I did!) LOL :) ... On this particular day, the chefs decided to serve some Botanas Mexicanas which equate to the South of the Border’s answer to small portions of typical fare, like tapas, if you will. The choices today were Sopes, Tacos de Papa (Potato tacos) and Pozole. It seemed as though I had been transported to Jalisco in the blink of an eye!

For starters the soup of the day was Caldo de Arroz Mexicano. This was a cream based soup with Mexican Fried Rice as the star ingredient... (I know you are tasting it right now!) ... It was very good... A warm, comforting feeling in your tummy, actually! The kind of soup you would want to enjoy on a cold rainy day!! Delish!

My friend chose to have the Sopes, as an homage to the occasion. I, of course, had to order the Chile en Nogada!! Call me a creature of habit, if you must, but this is one of those things that I would not make at home, and "when in Rome..." Or should I say "...when in Bell..." LOL

Botanas Mexicanas (Plate of Sopes) ... 5 de Mayo Special of the day!
From LaCasitaMexicana


The sopes were simple and flavorful. These Mexican treats sit on a corn base... almost like a thick tortilla (made of masa) and pan fried to cook and create a crunchy exterior. They offered the chicken or pork version so we chose two chicken and one pork. They were served as sopes are traditionally, garnished with lettuce, tomato and queso fresco (a cheese with the consistency of crumbled feta). I have had many versions of this dish throughout my life, but these were true to their Mexican origin, simple and flavorful!

Chile en Nogada... (I order this everytime!!)
From LaCasitaMexicana


Then there was my chile relleno!! This is no Chile relleno for the fainthearted... nor the ones that are used to the more common plain cheese version... nothing wrong with those, but they definitely do not compare to these!! This recipe is not typically found in just any restaurant. The chefs delicately stuff this green chile with a ground beef mixture that is fused with raisins and chopped nuts, and seasoned with spices to give this mixture a very warm feel. They then cover the top of the chile with a nut cream sauce and it is garnished with fresh pomegranate seeds! I must add, that the pomegranate seeds make this dish aesthetically delightful; however, the tartness with the warmth of the sauce and meat mixture combined with the spiciness of the chile, is a flavor unlike any other! A true treat and a sheer delight at every bite! A must try for all you foodies out there!

The chefs, being true to their Mexican roots, were so hospitable and truly gracious hosts. I almost felt as though I had been at my mother’s home, where food abounds and the sight of an empty plate is not possible because there is always more where that came from! So wouldn’t you know it... some Potato tacos showed up at our table, followed by Chicken Pozole!

I must admit that I was leery about the potato tacos at first... not because the presentation wasn’t picture perfect, but having grown up in a very traditional Mexican family, my mother made some truly fantastic potato tacos, a recipe that has become famous amongst family and friends and that are often referred to as "killer"! I took the first bite... and really took in the true essence of Mexico, and the origin of a potato taco. This delicacy, if you will, is one of the simplest of Mexican foods you may ever encounter, but when done right... simple, fused with the right seasonings and textures... you have a winner! Not greasy at all... A true delight at every bite... Could totally give mom a run for her money! LOL

Tacos de papa (Potato Tacos)... Simple, but delicious!
From LaCasitaMexicana


Then came the pozole! Traditionally this is made with pork, but in true California spirit, Ramiro and Jaime prepared the healthier alternative, Chicken Pozole. Can I just say, "YUM!" Of course, this came accompanied by the typical garnishes; shredded cabbage, onion, sliced radishes and lime! This was truly Mexican authenticity at its best! The broth had a red chile base... it wasn’t too spicy... but the flavor was perfectly fused! There is a reason why this has become the remedy for a hangover... the spice and the flavor can revive the human spirit like nothing else!

Chicken Pozole
From LaCasitaMexicana


I must admit... I was ready to pop at this point! That was quite a bit of food we had the true pleasure of enjoying... the problem is that it is so amazing you just don’t want to put your fork (or spoon) down! So alas... we were winding down to the end of a very hearty and fantastic dinner. But how do you go to LA CASITA and not have the Guavas en Rompope for dessert? LOL

Yes! We still ordered dessert!! How does that happen that there is always room for a bit of something sweet!?!?

Guavas en Rompope
From LaCasitaMexicana


I have always been a huge fan of all things tropical, especially fruits! Guavas are a huge part of the Mexican culture... I enjoyed them growing up... and I still do! But you have got to love the "adult" version of a guava... that would be how Jaime and Ramiro serve them up! Rompope is a rum-based Mexican liqueur, with an eggnog flavor, if you will. These genius chefs take this liqueur and create a sauce, with what seems to be a simple syrup and serve the fruit straight up dressed in this sauce. A wonderful indulgence in every bite!! (I have to admit... I order these every time!!) A must try when you come visit the chefs that make our South of the Border neighbors very proud!

I invite you all to come visit this quaint establishment! If you are always on the lookout for a great eatery... you needn’t go any farther to find this fantastic fare!
The fun part is getting to meet these two very charming and fabulous chefs... not only do they serve up a true Mexican Culinary experience, they epitomize the beautiful spirit of this amazing country... and truly represent what Mexican Gastronomy should be!

The 2 fabulous chefs, Ramiro and Jaime
...and the future Food Network Star, Elle!! :) (One can only dream!)
From LaCasitaMexicana


Take a look at their website www.casitamex.com, you will meet the chefs (online for now)... and see how they have taken Mexican cuisine to a level that makes me proud of my Mexican heritage! Be sure to tell them that Elvia sent you when you go visit!! ... and as we would say in Spanish, Buen provecho!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Boy when are you taking me to this devine little place in Bell? The chile looked amazing!!
    Lilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this place sounds amazing!
    I will have to tell my husband about it!
    Thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete