Monday, June 1, 2009

Transforming Our Thoughts on Food...

Subject: Organic foods for our schools through Sustainable Gardens…

On May 19, 2009, I attended an amazing event that took place at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica, CA, with my like minded, (project manager, if you will), Mark. The honest truth is I really didn’t know what I was about to experience. But really? …Whenever Mark gets an idea to do something, it is normally on cue with a past conversation we’ve had… or a thought I’ve shared with him… or simply something that has bounced off the constant turning of wheels in this rather quirky mind of mine.

As many of you know, I have an inherent passion for food and all things focused on health. Many of you may also know that I plan on attending culinary school in 2010, in an effort to follow my passion for all things culinary and a true desire to reinvent myself in that field.

In some previous conversations Mark and I have shared, normally over something fabulous to eat, I had touched on a growing desire I have in my heart to somehow influence the new generations in how they eat, how they perceive food, and the relevance it all has to life, culture, the art of cuisine and more importantly, their health. You’ve got to love that there are those people in your life who really listen and are a true stand for your greatness, and how that greatness can serve and contribute to the lives of others. Well, in that space, Mark purchased tickets for us to attend a lecture with Alice Waters, a renowned chef, writer and activist, if you will. This was a fundraiser for a local school, Canyon Elementary, who is raising money and awareness on this idea of having a schoolyard garden. In this lecture Ms. Waters would be speaking about her journey in the Edible Schoolyard project she pioneered in Berkeley, California, where she is the chef/owner of the very renowned restaurant, CHEZ PANISSE.

Well, as I said earlier, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but I came with an open mind and in my heart, there was a tinge of a feeling that there was a purpose in my being there. Can I just say? I was blown away! Alice Waters took the stage with Sam Levin, the most remarkable 15 year old I have ever heard speak! Sam is a high school student from Massachusetts, who was inspired by the same vision Ms. Waters had for her Northern California town, clear across the country! In just 18 months, Sam, enrolled not only other students and his school administration, but an entire community to step into growing a garden where the students planted, sowed and harvested organic fruits and vegetables, that were then taken, cooked and served in the local school cafeterias. This not only made the children and the community a part of the process, but is single handedly transforming how these children eat and is making them aware of not only the many arrays of flavors and amazing varieties of foods available to them that are actually good for them, but also how it is relevant in the different subjects they study; math, history, science, and so on. It is in essence reeducating them about nutrition and both the good and bad effects feeding our bodies with the wrong foods will have, both short and long term. This is especially important in a culture where fast food and processed food is a normal way of life.

Sam spoke with an intense passion about this idea of having schoolyard gardens not only in his town, but around the nation and globally. He interacted with Alice in such a gracefully powerful way, that it literally moved the entire audience. As I sit here and write about this, I can’t help but get present to how moved I was as I sat there in that audience in awe and witnessed the birth of a future leader.

I applaud both Sam and Alice for their efforts in bringing this vision, not only locally, but statewide throughout California, and nationwide to the attention of our lawmakers in Washington D.C. The idea of transforming an entire generation’s thought process on food, and the re-education of the generations before them about the relevance and importance of what we put into our bodies. This vision alone can prevent future diseases and health problems that can range from heart disease and diabetes to malnutrition and obesity; problems that have affected our nation, our world, as a whole. I am truly moved, touched and inspired!

Stay tuned, as I am sure that this conversation will continue in my blog. I have yet to read the story behind this movement, written by Ms. Waters; a wonderful little book called “EDIBLE SCHOOLYARD; A Universal Idea”, which she cheerfully signed for me that evening!

Yes, I am all about eating all things decadent, but as most of us know, everything in moderation is key! Our health is something we all need to be striving to make better one day at a time. I am truly grateful for people like Alice Waters and Sam Levin; people like these two extraordinary individuals can inspire the world, one community at a time, to step up to the possibility of making a difference for our children to live healthier and fuller lives!

Thank you, Mark… for listening to my crazy thoughts and ideas in transforming the world through food! Your listening will one day be a huge contribution to others!

4 comments:

  1. best friend you are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear there is an upswing among our youth on eating healthy.

    ReplyDelete