Monday, October 11, 2010

Culinary Treasures from the East Coast...

VERVACIOUS ~ Voyage Inspired Fancy Foods

On a recent trip to the East Coast, I had the opportunity to visit the most charming town of Portland, Maine. A place filled with character and many delightful culinary shops. I had the afternoon to walk around and take it all in, truly picturesque and lovely! I was smitten!

Walking along the main drag, Commercial Street, I stumbled upon the most delicious little specialty gourmet shop called VERVACIOUS. I was drawn by the aesthetics, the displays, the banner proudly boasting the write-up in O Magazine… and the name!!
Vervacious is defined as “Vibrant, exuberant, brilliant, inspired.” At this point, I was in love!! Loved the word, an adjective that should be in Webster’s… and I was in love with the store, the staff, the products and the story.




This is a husband/wife collaboration… being passionate about food, Heidi and Mark, set out to sail from Newfoundland down to the Caribbean then over to the Mediterranean on their ketch named Verve’… and “Vervacious” was born! Their culinary experiences along the way inspired them to capture the essence of their discoveries in these delightful little jars!! The kicker is that they are stackable and look adorable on my kitchen counter!!






There is an array of herbs and spices… and fusions of the same with sea salts… and then the sauces and vinegars, oh my!! I felt like I was in gourmet heaven!! I wanted to purchase one of everything, but my reality was having to pack it and getting it back to California!! So I compromised, I bought a few jars for myself and one as a gift… I went with Provencal Lavender Pepper Salt Blend, because I love lavender infused foods, Star Anise Salt, a wonderful and warm seasoning salt, and a Sicilian Sumac salt, a gift for my favorite Italian chef.




I wasn’t very sure about carrying the balsamic vinegars, so it wasn’t long after I returned home that an online order was submitted for the Balsamic vinegar trio, which included Chocolate balsamic, Espresso balsamic and Spiced Balsamic! I recently made a Cherry Tomato/Green Grape salad (read about it here) that I used the Spiced Balsamic in and just tonight I drizzled a spoonful of Chocolate Balsamic over a creamy Vanilla Bean Ice cream! In just an instant a simple treat became a wonderful and decadent creation!!

These products are a must have for any aspiring chef, foodie, or gourmet-next-door!! The wonderful thing is that you won’t have to travel all the way to Portland, Maine… you can go online to www.vervacious.com and order to your heart’s content!

The holidays are around the corner, this is perfect for all the gourmets in your life… a gift that will continue giving! From salts, rubs, spices and chocolate mixes to confits, sauces, infused mustards and pastes!Unique, beautiful, impressive and useful products!! Genius in every jar!




I invite you to visit the website and see all the accolades VERVACIOUS products have received from very respected figures in the culinary world! I, personally, would love to have one of everything!! (In case any of my friends should be reading this… AHEM!) LOL!

Heidi and Mark, thank you for inspiring me with your amazing creations, fusion of flavor and sheer genius! I adored your shop and your lovely staff, (Melanie was extremely helpful, knowledgable and friendly)!! I hope to visit again sometime in the near future… however, in the meantime, I will be sure to visit your online shop, time and time again!

Regards from a fellow foodie, fellow cook, and a huge fan!

Elle :)

1 comment:

  1. Elle, you have a way of writing that makes me either hungry or wanna go out and buy buy buy. Definitely a precious gift, i am learning from you, thank you for sharing! P.s. I am also checking out their website asap!

    Your friend and follower,

    James P. :-)

    ReplyDelete