Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cooking with Fresh Ingredients... Fruit and Herbs...

Cherry Tomato/Green Grape Salad

Back with the theme of being inspired by ingredients that are already in your kitchen. This is the “side salad” that I served with the Basil Walnut Pesto Orecchiette that I blogged about recently. It was a perfect mix of sweet/tart/savory, simple and a perfect accompaniment to a pasta dish!! It’s easy and quick, but that can remain our little secret!!

The measurements are "visually measured". I used basil to associate the salad's flavors to the pasta, but I think that fresh mint or tarragon would work just as wonderfully, alone or as a combination of any of these herbs. The kicker here was the special balsamic vinegar that I used to dress this salad. I purchased it online from a fantastic gourmet specialty shop called VERVACIOUS. I visited this shop while on a recent trip to Portland, Maine and I was like a kid in a candy store (blog to follow). I will give more details on the culinary treasures I discovered soon.



Approx. 1 pint of Cherry tomatoes
Approx. 1 pint of Green seedless grapes
1 and 1/2 tablespoons of chopped herbs (I used basil)
2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon VERVACIOUS Spiced Balsamic Vinegar (or plain balsamic)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the cherry tomatoes and grapes into halves lengthwise and put into a mixing bowl. Fold in the olive oil the balsamic vinegar. (Note: If you don’t have the wonderful spiced balsamic vinegar from VERVACIOUS, a good balsamic will do; the taste will be different, but still delicious). Add salt and pepper to taste.

This makes about 3-4 servings.

This simple salad is delicious with the pasta dish that I shared a few days ago. I am sure it would be delightful alongside most pasta dishes, as the brightness of this side dish cuts the starchiness in the pasta. This could pair well with sandwiches or would be a wonderful side at a picnic!!

Enjoy!

Elle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment