Friday, August 20, 2010

LA Foodies have a Fest!!

Who would have known that serious food lovers would develop an affinity for food on wheels! Yes... you heard that correctly! The "lunch trucks" with greasy and "just ok" offerings are now mostly a thing of the past!! The new and improved, and wildly popular GOURMET food trucks are the thing to do and EAT in the general SoCal area!! Who would have thought???

So, in July of this year the 2nd Annual LA STREET FOOD FEST took place at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA!!

The event was expecting 5,000 people, and 5,000 people it got!! Yes... it was completely sold out!! 5,000 food loving people congregated to taste samplings of mostly gourmet catering trucks and some small eateries all over LA. Most of those eateries are what we would normally refer to as "hole in the wall" or "mom and pop" places to eat! Let me just say one thing... catering truck, hole in the wall... doesn't matter..... if the food is good... I am there!! (and apparently 4,999 other people agree with me, as well!) LOL

I am the first to admit that I love, love, love swanky restaurants and trendy eateries... but it isn't always about all things swanky.... what it is always about is TASTE! ... and if you can serve it up, wherever and however it comes, there are some serious foodies in this town that will be all over it!

Below are a few of the tastings that we were fortunate enough to try, in a nutshell; I reiterate... these are a few and definitely my favorites:

CEMITAS & CLAYUDAS (2560 E. Gage Ave, Huntington Park, CA 90255).... (www.lascabronas.com) (BTW... pardon their Mexican "french" LOL)
In essence, Mexican antojitos on steroids! I tried a cemita, which is a small sandwich or torta. It was small but it packed a punch in flavor!! I can't wait to go to their location to try more things and report back to you all!



THE MANILA MACHINE (a Catering Truck... www.themanilamachine.com):
Voted the overall favorite in the Food Fest, an amazing Pork Belly and Pineapple Adobo and the ever popular Filipino favorite, Lumpia... it was no accident that this was the biggest crowd pleaser!! I want to try more!!



FRESH FRIES (Gourmet Truck.... www.freshfries.biz):
Serving Fresh fries in all their varieties: Regular fries, Curly Fries, Sweet Potato Fries.... with many choices of toppings and dipping sauces! Who would have thought that you could create a menu around fries? The two variations as shown on this picture, were regular fries with their version of a guacamole and a fresh cream sauce.... the other was Sweet Potato Fries with Peanut Butter and Chocolate to dip them into! Clearly decadent... and a very occasional treat.... but Oh my goodness.... goodness on a whole other level!! :)



KABOB n' ROLL (Gourmet Truck... www.kabobnroll.com):
Offering Mediterranean food with more flavor than you know what to do with!! I was able to try a chicken and a lamb kabob.... and they were oh so good!! I can't wait to see what other Mediterranean favorites they offer!!



CREPE'N AROUND (Gourmet truck... www.crepenaround.com):
I am the biggest fan of all things Paris... and when it comes to Crepes, I am a bit particular about authenticity and taste. Something to be said about the guys that took the concept of French crepes and gave them a complete gourmet twist.... and Yuuuuuu-uuum... the result I got to sample was a savory Maple Braised Pork crepe, with Apple Chutney, toasted Walnuts and mixed greens and a honey Vinaigrette! I am sure I will log online to track these guys for further tasters!!



ROSA'S BELLA CUCINA (Gourmet Truck) (www.rosabellacucina.com):
So for those of you who have never tried this little Italian rice ball they call ARANCINI... you are seriously missing out!! I have tried the real version in Italy, as well as the gourmet take of some fancier restaurants in the LA area... these are seriously good!! They are basically made of cheesy risotto balls that are fried to perfection.... no need for words here... bite into one and you know what I am talking about! Another Italian favorite is ZEPPOLE, which is their version of a French BEIGNET or an American DONUT... I will make the justification for this treat because it is the Italian thing to do! LOL ... Try it and you will see!!





I have included the websites of all the catering trucks... Here is how most of them roll (pun totally intended!)... You log on to their website, or add them as favorites on Facebook, or follow them on Twitter. They post daily and/or weekly schedules of their locations and you make it a point to be there when they show up! Yes, I must admit, it sounds like a wild goose chase, but it's a fun game to play, nonetheless!! I dare you to join me in this game and email me to tell me which you have gone to visit... none of these disappoint!

With that said, for those of you interested in a foodie adventure of this type... you can join me and my friends at the OC FOODIE FEST on August 28th from 11am to 6pm in Orange County. Log on to www.ocfoodiefest.com for further event info and ticket information!!

I am sure that this will not be my first nor last post on Gourmet Trucks!! Join me on this crazy exploration of decadent goodness thru the streets of LA (and the OC)!!

Bon Apetite, my friends!!

Elle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment