Sunday, March 21, 2010

Eating in America

Some months ago I wrote a blog about something that I am quite passionate about and have a soft spot for in my heart... the nutrition (or sometimes, lack thereof) in America and how it is affecting our health and well-being. I shared about a lecture I attended where Alice Waters, renowned chef and writer, spoke about a change that is desperately needed in our schools and in our country in general. This change pertains to what we are feeding our children and what we are choosing to consume as adults. We live in a culture that is heavily saturated with so many fast food options that eating processed and fatty foods has simply become a way of life because it is easier, more convenient, and sadly, with so many "value" menus out there, cheaper (at least that's the front end acquisition cost). Alice was standing against this and the conversation was about sustainable food; growing our food supply (fruits and vegetables) locally and organically, and incorporating those foods, in our everyday meals.



There are several pioneers in this revolution, leaders that are truly passionate about this cause and simply choose to take a stand for our health as a country. I personally think these people, like Alice Waters, are real life heroes. As I sit here in my living room watching the preview of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, I definitely have to add Jamie to that list of heroes. Even though his mission is a bit different and doesn't necessarily stress growing our own food, the general idea is similar. That is, we need to change our food system, and more importantly, eating habits to make America healthier.

ABC is airing this new reality show, where Jamie is trying to revolutionize the way schools are feeding our children. The premiere show begins in Huntington, West Virginia, which has been declared the unhealthiest city in America. As part of the show, Jamie attempts to also teach local families how to cook and eat more healthily. As you might expect, the show documents the struggles he will have endured in this process, but one can't help but be moved by his tenacity and determination. I must admit that I was moved to tears, and as I sit here writing about it, I am still saddened by the people's resistance to change, and the evident ignorance that prevails about what "is good for us" and what real nutrition is. Having said that, I am no expert in the matter, but after years of a lot of personal research and changing my eating habits full circle four times over (at least) and being a member of a family that has literally revolutionized how they eat at home, I can't help but become truly present to how we, culturally speaking, live with a mindset of "ignorance is bliss"; and by default living with a "what you don't know won't kill you" mentality. This mentality was very apparent to me in the show. I would love to know how everyone else thinks after seeing the first episode.

My words might seem a bit harsh to some, but I speak from my heart. I truly believe this show is a wake up call, of sorts, to our country, communities, families. There is no time like the present to educate ourselves and our loved ones about what is truly "good for us" and what is hurting us, and how some of the food we are eating, sadly, is making us sick. Ironically, the information is at our fingertips... a Google search away!

I made a commitment when I started this blog that my posts would be fun to read, but I am also committed to sharing what I can about incorporating healthy habits into meals. Yes, I blog about a lot of decadent foods and restaurants, but like with anything, all of that should be experienced and enjoyed in moderation. How we eat everyday and how and what we cook at home, is what matters. So, as the saying goes: "The Buck Stops Here". This simply means that I need to bring you more recipes of healthy meals. I too have a burden in my heart about how the people that I love eat. That being said, it's not the end of fun and yummy things, just remember that moderation is key.

I invite you all to watch this new series with me... Challenge all the parents out there to sit and watch this with your kids... seeing is believing!! Will you join me??? It may not be "happy" TV... but it is a reality check that we should all consider. There is no better place to start revolutionizing how our country eats, than in our own homes! I would love to hear your thoughts, please share!

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution
2 Hour Premiere
Friday, March 26, 2010
8:00 pm PDT
ABC (Check your local listings)

1 comment:

  1. great post...its about educating people, not necessarily removing or denying their ability to choose what they eat...that education drives what people purchase and consume - driving the market. I'm not a big fan of the gov't telling me what I can and can't eat. In addition, the gov't is much at fault as we are - they have eliminated Health and Phys Ed classes in schools. Also, due to archaic trade agreements with foreign countries, our agriculture industry is hamstrung and NOT allowed to grow at full tilt.

    Last, we need to get tough with parents - its our and their future we are gambling with. Healthy eating habits is just as important as homework and they intersect to make a better student...

    ReplyDelete