Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dining in East Los ... A True Mexican Culinary Experience!!

Date: Friday, April 3, 2009
Location: Tia’s, Cesar Chavez Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90032

So one of the intentions of this blog is to expose my audience to the eateries and restaurants I visit… write about the experience… the food, it’s preparation, it’s presentation, the taste, the whole enchilada! (No pun intended… since I am about to write about Mexican food!)

I am about to describe an amazing dining experience at one of the least likely places. One thing about me… I don’t discriminate a place by its geographical location nor the ambiance. I am really at home at the amazing and trendy eateries LA has to offer, but in the same manner, if there is a less “fashionable” locale that offers delicious creations… or as I would very affectionately call them “Hole in the wall” restaurants…. I am there!

I am, after all, a true LA girl… born and raised… so I will venture into any neighborhood if there is great food waiting on the other end! Having said that, I was introduced to this local “Mom and Pop” restaurant called “TIA’S”, (literally translated is Aunt's in Spanish).

This quaint eatery is located in East Los Angeles on Cesar Chavez Blvd. (Right off the 710 freeway). This place is reminiscent to a very typical, but truly authentic eatery south of the border.

Where do I start with the food!?! Oh my goodness… in one word… DELISH!
As some of you know, I am Mexican (both parents born and raised in Mexico)… and I did grow up with some amazing food around me… thanks to my mother’s undeniably fantastic culinary skills… I have been exposed to some of the best and most authentic Mexican food. (No… I am not just saying this because she’s my mother, many of my friends and family members will vouch that this is in fact true) … thanks to mom, I have developed a palette and serious taste for great food! Anyway, back to the conversation at hand… Tia's specializes in MOLE sauces. I have never been a big fan of traditional mole; something about the texture…

MOLE is a very traditional sauce used in Mexican cuisine, much like a Béarnaise sauce is used in French cuisine, or a Marinara sauce is used in Italy. The traditional mole is made of Chipotle peppers and infused with chocolate… it is creamy in texture, but thick… and I think that is where my texture issue came in… but I think I’ve grown up! ‘Cause Tia’s changed that opinion around!

Here they offer at least a dozen different varieties of mole; from a Tamarind infused mole, to a Pistachio Mole, to a Tequila Lime variation. The wonderful part is that the moles are interchangeable (upon request) with different plates. I, for example, tried the Duck Breast with the Tamarind infused mole the second time I was there… loved the flavor of the mole, but found the duck to be a bit dry and tough.

I have been back four times now (and counting)… I will definitely be a regular… and you might too… after you read about my dinner on this visit!

I met my friend (and new roommate) Lilly there and we had to order what we had had a couple weeks prior, because I couldn’t stop thinking about that dish and just couldn’t resist!! LOL! I ordered what they call an “ENFRIJOLADA”… which in essence is an enchilada that is smothered with a Black bean sauce (or mole, if u will) and topped with cheese. It comes with a side of Crema Mexicana (much like Sour cream), amazing Guacamole and a side of very flavorful Carne Asada. If that hasn’t made your mouth water, this will: ALL that for just $10.00!!! (Can’t beat that with a stick!) LOL



Upon being seated, your server brings you a bowl of the soup of the day, which this time was LENTEJAS (Translation: lentil soup). It has been difficult to compare my mother’s lentil soup in the past, Tia’s could definitely compete with mom! Very fresh and flavorful, and just the perfect amount served!



Lilly ordered the Chicken Enchiladas Verde plate, served with a side of rice, this enchilada plate far surpasses the average green enchiladas! The sauce, true to a MOLE, is thicker in consistency and the seasonings are to die for! A lot of food… again only $10.00! You gotta love going to a truly authentic Mexican restaurant and getting a great value!



There is a choice of beverages, mostly “AGUAS” which is the traditional Mexican drink, and every time you visit, there is a different selection. Typically, Aguas occur to me as being too sweet, but I must say, their JAMAICA (a Hibiscus flower drink) was delicious. They don’t offer alcoholic beverages; however, they do allow you to bring your own bottles of choice and will be happy to serve it for you.

For dessert they offer very Mexican desserts! But not your average selection… amongst the choices were a Coconut Flan and CAPIROTADA!!! This, my friends, is the true testament of an AUTHENTIC Mexican restaurant! Capirotada is a Mexican Bread Pudding, if you will. I must say, I am a HUGE fan of this treat… as I grew up with Mom’s version (to die for… to this day!)… but being as open minded as I consider myself to be, Lilly and I decided to share one. The flavor was different from what I’ve known all my life, but delicious, nonetheless. Their take on the dessert had dried cranberries and was a little more HAUTE CUISINE… although if it were one of my creations, I may have chosen to do a rum sauce of sorts, as it was just a tad dry. All in all… definitely worth a try!



I must add, that during our meal, we were able to enjoy listening to a very talented local musician, Victor Mendoza, play covers of Latin artists such as Alejandro Fernandez and popular bands like “Enanitos Verdes” and “Jaguares”… as well as some “Gypsy Kings”! Played the acoustic guitar beautifully and had fantastic vocals! Our head waiter, Alfonso, informed us that he would be playing every Friday, until further notice… so how great is that? Amazing food and entertainment without breaking the bank!!! Who knew?

I truly recommend this place, as I intend to go back again and again! The food is undeniably authentic and prepared by a very skilled chef. The staff… is super friendly and just an overall pleasant experience. If u happen to visit… tell them ELVIA sent you… they are actually very good about remembering their customers… Alfonso actually remembered that I have been back 4 times!!



Tia’s is the essence of Mexican Cuisine…having access to this kind of Mexican food in LA… it makes you wonder why anyone would entertain eating at a commercialized corporate giant chain, really? :)

5 comments:

  1. interesting

    by the way open my blog at www.cahya-zenku.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very proud of you, my friend. If this isn't right up your alley, nothing else is :)...

    Now you need to come up with a very catchy "sign-off" tag line.

    I can see it now...from blogger to Food Network star...:)

    Cheers,
    Paulie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elvia ...
    You are a true Pro!!!! I am so proud of you.. I felt it was written by a food guru from the LA Times hehehehe!! But next time warm me about the pictures, geez I needed a touch up :) Our new hang out...Let's go back to try the other dishes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done my friend! not sure i want to log on this site while trying to trim down! You can taste the food right off the pages!! Great job Elvia! This definitely moves, touches and inspires me...for sure to go out and eat!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the saucy sassy reparte!! Simply amazing! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete