Monday, October 19, 2009

There's a "Latina on the Loose!"

The premise of Elle Living is definitely great food and culinary treasures, but in addition to all that delicious goodness, it's also a lifestyle site... your directory and resource for all things fabulous that allow for extraordinary living! By the way, don't worry that this is going to be a site for only the "well to do"; on the contrary, it's for everyone, not only the "Designer-Clad Set".... Simply those with a taste for good things and decadence! (Which, by the way, could come by way of the simplest things in life... sometimes, that can show up in a Taco Truck! LOL!) I'm at the beginning stages of launching the full site and so I have yet to incorporate the other arts, but I thought that it would be great to start with something that is definitely one of my favorites and probably close to many people's hearts... Theatre!!

First, I must say that if you could call something the "little production that could"... This would be it!! I love all things "live theatre" and when a dear friend of mine insisted that I go see this production being presented in Downtown LA, I was quite taken by her enthusiasm about this "one woman" production... So, of course, I had to go see for myself!

I was not quite sure what to expect, but I know that at the end, I was definitely glad that I made it out to see this production. "Latina on the Loose" is based on the life story of Mina Olivera, her life growing up as a Latina teenager, moving from country to country and all the silliness/happiness/craziness that happens in between such experiences... this would include her coming to America and realizing her dreams. Mina takes you on a true roller coaster ride (the really fun and exhilarating kind) of emotions... She was funny, witty, charming and captivating! You will laugh... (a lot)... you will cry (a little - :)) and feel every emotion in between happy and heartfelt!!

It is pretty amazing when one actress is able to take you through such an experience without a supporting cast... But Mina does exactly that, in a somewhat effortless way! The performance is very well written... in a way that captivates the audience from start to finish!

I was fortunate enough to see the final production on Sunday October 11 at the Los Angeles Theatre Company, but for those of you who weren’t able to see Mina in LA, don't worry... because against all odds... “the little production that could” is going on the road and being presented in various cities. Wherever you are, I highly recommend you go and experience this lovely, heartwarming tale of a very tenacious Latina! I must say, she makes me proud of my Latin Heritage! I got the feeling that her personality is truly contagious and fun and it came out all over the place in her production. I now know why my friend Stacey was adamant that I go see this work of love!

Here are some selected pics from the production:


And, here's a short clip from the show:


Mina: thank you for sharing yourself so generously with your audience and giving yourself so wholeheartedly to your work! I applaud you and support you (as a fellow Latina)... and can’t wait to see you on Broadway!

You can follow the show and Mina on Facebook on her fan page: Latina on The Loose

Or visit her website for dates and locations!

Abrazos y besos!!

Elle ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment